Welcome to the Strange

Follow me as I try to balance literature, love, and life in the real world. Will the realm of the unreal win in the end? It's beginning to seem that way.

Monday 28 May 2012

Entering the World of Antiquarian Book Dealing


I have finally found employment doing something I find meaningful and exciting.  For the past year I have been toiling away as a cafeteria worker in my old university.  The workers are unionized, and so the rate of pay is extremely high for the type of work we perform, but the tasks are mundane, and it makes all of life dull and insignificant.  And to make matters worse, the designation of our station is a uniform of putrid green gown and terrible brown hat.  I feel ashamed of my work; I feel ashamed that I pursued an Honours degree in English to end up here.

Last week I replied to an advertisement for an Antiquarian Book Dealer's apprentice.  I didn't think I would get the job, because months of rejection had hardened my spirit and made me cynical.  So I applied out of sheer jest, as a way to amuse myself. I explained my mundane situation and how I was ready to turn to self-defenestration if I could not find something to stimulate my intellect.

He responded within ten minutes, inviting me to an interview the next day, and three hours after the interview he offered me the job.

So now I am learning the secrets and the sub-culture associated with Antiquarian Book Dealing.  There are so many intricacies and eccentricities that I never even imagined this world could contain.  After my first shift, I already have stories to share.

And I look forward to sharing some of those in this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment